lørdag den 11. september 2010

Leaving Cape Town and arrival in Vienna

So I left Cape Town on July 15 2010 to attend the 18th International AIDS Conference in Vienna, Austria.
The time up to leaving was  hectic, not only did I have to pack all my stuff and ship the stuff I couldn't fit :) - I also had to say goodbye to all my lovely friends in Cape Town, which was a little hard with all the practical stuff I had to do. All in all, I didnt really want to leave, so that was extra stressfull on top of it all. I will start by explaining what I did my last days in Cape Town, as I tried to make a list of practical things I had to finish, and a list of personal things I wanted to experience or accomplish. This was all before Vienna of course, which was an agenda on its own :)


Beautiful Cape Town from Lion's head

My personal list was about seeing friends,climbing Lion's Head, taking some time off work to chill, and so on. I managed to Climb Lion's Head, and that was quite funny, I'm glad I managed to do it. And I got to spend time with friends meanwhile. A certain point during the hike, we had to choose whether to go the " recommended" path, or climb up a chain, pulling yourself up in your arms. As I was told I couldn't do it, I got stubborn and wanted to try that one :) It went fine on the going up, but coming down I experienced something funny. I made it down with the chain to the first platform, and going down to the second platform, I couldn't place my feet properly, and I just started laughing, whereas I was told not to let go with my hands - I didn't, but it was just a funny moment. It never turned dangerous -just funny :) In that same moment, however, I got a little sad, because I realized it was time to leave. The last day at my office was also sad, I had to say goodbye to my good friend Thabi, and I handed out gifts to the rest of the staff. I was going to see most of them in Vienna, but saying goodbye to Thabi was hard. I had been teary my last days in Cape Town. Going to the gym for the last time was another weird feeling. Lastly, as the weather was quite bad ( ie. raining and 6-7 degrees, Cape Town winter) a poor pigeon had appearantly seeked shelter on my balcony, but unfortunately, it died there. I noticed it out there, and did not think it was a good thing to leave for the next tenant, but yet, I was too afraid to move it. This happened the same week I saw a cockroach on my stairs to the house! Yuck, I never saw any cockroaches, and then it happens the same week a dead pigeon shows up on my balcony! I had a good friend removing it for me, I just couldn't do it, the eyes of the pigeon had even turned white.. I felt sorry for the poor bird seeking shelter from the rain, only to die :(

The sign showing which route to take ( Lion's Head)

World Cup was over, my stay was over, etc etc, it all went by to fast....The day I had to leave my housemate Anthony didn't think it was that soon, and I postponed the cab supposed to pick me up at my home, since I wasn't ready :) When we arrived at the airport, he said I owed him 140 rand, and I was surprised, as I was told my work would take care of it. I called the office, and Thabi said I shouldn't pay. Then I went to check in, and they needed to see my credit card that I purchased my ticket with, but that one got stolen. Then they needed a police statement saying so, but I was already at the airport and needed to leave, so they found another way to let me pass, luckily. So I was finally on my way, teary every second, I even made airport staff ensuring me I would come back. Well, enjoy the pics from my goodbye week below, and the Vienna update will follow on my next post :) I should also make a post on the World Cup as I got to experience it up close - that will follow sometime after I'm done updating on my life until now :)


Pictures from climbing Lion's Head July 13 2010










Pictures from the last day at office, random friends, the gym, the airport





Thabi!!!




Birthday "boys"





Gym "boys" July 14, 2010











Day of departure
Bless his soul for removing the pigeon from my balcony!

Last day taking a taxi to work.. sniff sniff, as the date reveals this was the day I left Cape Town

SO so sad! Leaving Cape Town, July 15 2010

I was surprised that the entertainment system on the plane had a USB plug.

Yes, I was already missing Cape Town...
and we were only taking off!
Stay tuned for the next update on Vienna with stories and pics!



Ingen kommentarer:

Send en kommentar